Thursday, November 1, 2007

Another Hospital Update

Thanks to all of you for the Halloween ideas and thoughts and prayers! I was relieved when the hospital announced they would be having a Halloween party and contest in the lobby and that Austin had permission to go. I was also relieved to hear nurses would be reverse trick-or-treating as well. The party started at 11:00.

Well guess what? They came up to get Austin for his bone scan at 10:30! They have been doing a scan every day since Monday. They put dye in for his scan on Monday and then they have been taking a new scan every day to watch the dye. I guess this may tell them where the infection is (which is most likely in the spine)? They have been putting him under anesthesia so he is still. So....anyway he missed the party. He was still in recovery when the nurses came by. He was still in recovery when a face painter came by. Poor kid. If he was disappointed, he really didn't let it show. I was probably more disappointed.

He had to have all the monitors on after recovery, so I couldn't really get his costume on very well. He wore his hat and his cuffs and whistle. His sister and her friend came to see him...bless their hearts. There was also, I think, just an ordinary outside family that had come in to give kids goody bags with snakes, spider rings, bubbles, and erasers. THAT was very sweet. I think I just may do that for the kids here next year because they have no idea how much they really made our day. I did get pictures of Austin and Amber and her friend Megan. I will post them when I get home.

Today when Austin goes under for his scan they are going to go ahead and put in a central line for long-term IV antibiotics at home. So....I'm hoping maybe this weekend we will get to go home?

2 comments:

Lifedreamed said...

what a wonderful family to do that for the children.

Lori said...

I've been lurking on your blog for quite awhile. I'm not even sure where found it from..but I digress. I'm so sorry to hear that Austin hasn't been well and that you've been in hospital. Hopefully they're getting to the bottom of things. Are they putting in a portacath or a central line? I totally understand how disappointed you were that he missed out on halloween. The halloween our dd was 21 months old she was undergoing chemo and I still remember how excited I was when the doctor announced that they were letting her out of quarantine to trick or treat around the hospital. She may not have needed to go, but my husband and I needed to do something 'regular' parents did. Sometimes normalacy is so important. God bless. I'll be thinking of you both.

Sammy...Go...Fetch...Hop, Hop, Hop

Lapbook

Lapbook Unit 2